Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hellooooooo...........

Wow.  That's all I can say.  Life certainly does get in the way.
So how's everybody been?  We made it through the drudgery of Fall clean-up, fix-up, ready-for-winter stuff.  Christmas was nice enjoyed a couple of days....even though only 1/2 of us were here, but that's a story for another time.

Our winter has been....unwintery.  A few subzero days here and there, one or two big snowfalls some time ago.  But for the most part, pretty mild temps considering it's northern Minnesota...and most of our snow is gone.  Gone!  I hope it stays like this for the rest of the season.

There's been some spinning, knitting, fiber dyeing these past few months.  You know, it's been so long since I posted that I can't remember if I posted pics of my Aran sweater and the dreaded maroon/white vest.




The sweater is of my own hand painted fiber, 2 different patterns, then blended on the blending board.  I love it!!  The vest turned out ok...too small for me, but maybe someday I'll know someone who would like it.

And there's been socks, hats, scarves knitted up along the way.

Now I'm working on another Aran sweater.  This for my sister-in-law, requested by my brother as a surprise for her.  It is proving to be a real challenge.  I LOVE knitting Aran, but for some reason, this one I'm just not feeling.  He wanted it for Christmas (this notification came just before Thanksgiving), told him it ain't gonna happen, but did say probably Valentine's Day.

Yeah.....that ain't happening either.  So he said possibly no latter than Mother's Day.   Yeah......we'll keep that in mind; I'll let you know how it's going.   Secretly....I'm thinking....probably by her birthday at the end of August.   Just. Not. Feeling. It.  It's bumming me out.

It was my first attempt at dyeing with tea and coffee (separately, of course).  Oh, the fiber turned out gorgeous!  Coffee became a beautiful light "honey gold" and the tea became a very nice "buff".  So I plied 1 bobbin of each with a bobbin of white.  I'll have about 15 bobbins when all said and done, roughly 200 (+ - ) yards each.  But my brother tells me she's quite large, without getting into specifics other than measurements here and there.  I hope I have enough yarn.  I think this is a major factor in the "not feeling it" syndrome.

Well, we're taking our house off the market.  After 1 1/2 years, and 1 prospect brought by the realtor, we're saying "uncle".  We really don't mind....BH has always wanted to stay here.  Yeah, me too, kind of.

But to make it more palatable, our daughter is moving here in a couple of weeks.  Oh, not here but at the income-restricted apartments that are 1 block from us!!!  Yay!!!!  No more driving an hour to see her; no more staying overnight at her place; no more calls late at night from her with supposed medical issues; no more dealing with independent living coaches that DON't. Do. Their. Job!!

Yes, so after the last medical scare, we finally convinced her to move to our town.  We played it up big time!  All the advantages, all the time we can spend together, all the positives of being closer for her.  And she was hooked.  Thank God.  I've been working on this for the past couple of years.

So the next few weeks will be a whirlwind of activity.  She'll be settled in by the time the really good weather is here to stay.

Other than that, not much else has happened.  Hopefully, I can get back to posting on a regular basis.  I'm sure there's going to be a lot of stories to tell you about the Big Move.  Stay warm and healthy.  Till next time.......

3 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You did a beautiful job on the sweaters.

I don't think you'll have to rush to get your SIL her sweater by August. She really won't need it till November. Maybe you will be "feeling it" by then.

Unknown said...

As you know, I just love anything Green, so I think your Aran sweater is drop-dead amazing!! I like the vest too, very nicely done, and sorry it didn't fit you.

It could be that Fate knew you would both be better off, in the long run, by staying where you are, and so kept possible buyers away. When you think about it, if you had moved, you might have had a harder time in convincing your daughter to move back home, to be closer. It just seems to me that the fact that you were unable to sell the house, and your daughter finally agreeing to move back, all came together so nicely, and it will benefit all of you, not just one or the other. I was "meant to be."

Good luck with your SIL sweater. Every now and then, I find myself working on something that I just have to force myself to "keep at it" too. It's frustrating, but alll of live is like that, so it's not something you've never done already, or will never go through again. Right? LOL

Take care and keep well :)

Linda said...

Thanks Arleen..I might have a bit longer to work on it...but they live in Massachusetts, so...

Thanks Sandie...I love green, too. You're right about the moving situation. We're completely satisfied with staying here...and daughter living just a block away will take a LOT of stress off me and be great for her, closer to us to help her out more. It is a "win-win" deal. Stay warm and healthy!