Monday, March 16, 2015

And the Beat Goes On.......

Remember that song by Sonny and Cher?  An oldie but a goodie.  And so true.

After almost 2 weeks, daughter is finally settled in her apartment.  Every box unpacked, everything arranged, all decorations up.  And she LOVES it!!  We took a shopping trip on Saturday to a different end of town.  She's never been there, but we have.  It was just her and I.  We shopped, stopped for lunch and shopped some more.  She commented a few times  "this is fun!"  "I'm having a lot of fun, aren't you?" (why yes, I am!)  "this is so much fun!"   I think she really enjoyed the day!

The sweater I'm knitting for SIL.....just about finished with the raglan arm decrease on the last panel.  When I notice something's. just. not. right.  I'm running out of stitches to decrease before the top of the front panel is finished.  Lay it out.  Measure.  Count the pattern repeats.  Look at where the stitch panels begin to decrease.  Ahhh......yes.  Just as I suspected.....I do believe I was doing a double decrease - wrong side and right side - instead of just the right side only.   So.....rip it back to the beginning decreasing stitches.  Start over.  It's only a month behind from my appointed delivery date.  Oh well......perfection knows no time limits......right?   LOL !

Went to granddaughter's information meeting by the Army for their deployment in June.  It was an all day affair.  They had several different classes for the soldiers and family with all kinds of help in many different catagories.  Very enlightening.  She leaves the first week in June for the Middle East.  Her deployment will be anywhere from 7 months to a year.   This makes me so very sad.  But she is one tough cookie and smart as all get-out.

We've had some beautiful weather this past week.  The snow is G.O.N.E. !  And except for the pools of "quick sand" all the way up our dirt road, it's been great.  Yeah....our car looks like we've been "off-road" 4-wheeling it.  Covered in mud.  No point in going to the car wash until the road dries out.  Which may take quite a while.  Rain today.

My brother (one of 5.....a twin), who just turned 60 in December, called Friday night.  He's been diagnosed with tongue cancer.  He doesn't smoke or chew.  Did love his beer....quite a bit....until recently.  Doctor said if you don't do one, then it's probably caused by the other.  I do know the past few years have put him through the "fires of hell" and created an awful lot of stress on him.  And I'm sure that didn't help any.  He went in for a PET scan on Saturday to the University hospital.  I haven't heard how that went.  Today is the appointment with the oncologist.  I hope my brother calls tonight with an update.  He did say surgery is going to be done.

And so our own mortality slaps us in the face.  Memories of our parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends near and far, come flooding back.  Growing up.  It's inconceivable that 30 - 40 - 50 years have gone by.  Yes, most of our elders are gone now; we made it through the loss and the sadness.  And now we've become the "elder generation".  Now it's our turn.  Our time is running short.  Who knows what the cards hold for us.  One by one, my siblings and I will leave this earth and all those we hold dear behind.  The next generation will be stepping up to the plate.

So hard to believe.  And...the....beat....goes....on.

3 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Sweaters get made, children move on, and joys and sorrows come and go. Such is life.

I do hope that your brother will get hopeful news from his doctor tonight. Our siblings are our longest relationships and what hurts them, affects us deeply.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you and your daughter had such a delightful day of shopping, and that she is all moved in and settling down well. I hope you have many more "fun" shopping trips together in future.

Sending best wishes and good thoughts for your Granddaughter as she departs in June, and for your beloved Brother. All the best for both of them.

I have lost 2 siblings out of 3, and I am the eldest, and the 1 sibling left is 20 years my junior. I feel the passing of time greatly. I'll be 73 in May, and know I have been very fortunate to have lived so long. Just when you wish time would slow down just a wee bit, it seems to race all that much faster, leaving us struggling to keep up. Such if life. LOL

Take care and keep well. :)

Linda said...

Thank you very much Arleen and Sandie. Yes, this is life; good and bad. But the power of prayer is awesome. It will all work out. Hope you both have a wonderful Spring!