Friday, December 24, 2010

5....4....3....2....1.....It's Over!!


It happens that quick!! Christmas will soon be over. I, for one, think Dec. 26 is the very best day of the Holiday season. I lovvve the day after! One can actually collapse into a state of peace and tranquility (my experience, anywho).


I've been up since 5:45am. Not so amazing except that I couldn't fall asleep until 3:00am. This is going to be a rough day. I'm gonna need a nap. But for now -- the potatoes are boiled for the salad, the beans are simmering away (it's been years since I've made real baked beans. yikes.), the eggs for said salad are boiled, the laundry is folded and all the cookies have been moved into smaller containers. Their numbers have drastically decreased since out-of-state packages were put together and mailed out.


So for today, there's a little dusting and vacuuming to do, clean up the bathroom (you always have to clean up the bathroom!) and putz around doing the last minute odds and ends. I'm thinking of steak for dinner tonight; maybe a late supper. Steak, baked potato, salad and maybe --- shrimp cocktail!! That's how I feel now. At 4:00pm it'll probably change to grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips!!


Then tomorrow ---- ahh, yes, tomorrow. Snacks, drinks, buffet supper, open gifts, maybe a board game in the evening; say good night, drive safe, thank you for everything, love you ---- and it's OVER!!


We don't do anything for New Year's. If someone comes up, then we go through the snack/supper/games routine and have a great time. If BH and I are by ourselves, it's usually a nice supper, a movie, some snacks ---- and we're in bed before midnight!! Exciting, huh? Definitely old age? Nooo. Just a lover of extreme peace and quiet, just the 2 of us.


Ok. I stepped away for a minute. BH is sitting in the kitchen.

ME: "Say, would you bring over the big styrofoam cooler. I want to put some of the cookie containers in it to get as much as I can off the freezer, so I don't have to keep moving things when I have to get in there".


BH: "Yeah. Or I could bring over one of the other coolers."

ME: "We don't have any other coolers. I lent the one to Corey at Thanksgiving to take some food home".

BH: "Oh. Yeah. I'll bring it over. You mean the one with the double lid?" (he's referring to the cooler son has)

ME: "Yes".

BH: "Ok."


Why does he DO this?? Every time. The other night is was: "Hey, you didn't give me all my vitamins. The fish oil is missing."

BH: "How many did you take?"

ME: "I don't know. I take the bigs ones last. I DON'T have fish oil!"

BH: "Are you sure you didn't take it? How many did I give you?"

ME: " I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY YOU GAVE ME. I TAKE THE BIG ONES LAST AND IT'S NOT HERE!!"


Holy shit! He questions everything I say or ask; or worse --- he gives me other suggestions. You know, like "why don't you do it this way..." or "but if you did this......" AAARRGGHH!! JUST DO WHAT I ASK! PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME ANY INPUT OR ASK WHY!!


Believe me, you don't want to be filling my brain with jumbled questions and statements when I have all I can do to keep my mental list of things to be done at the forefront!! NOT AT CHRISTMAS, BUCKO!!


I think I need that nap right now.


Ahh, Dec. 26.


No comments: