Sunday, March 7, 2010

Snow is Melting!!

Alright!! 48 degrees at 10:45 am! The sun is shining! This is going to be a great day! The down side is our driveway looks like something from an old Western movie - you know, where the street is a sea of muck and mire. We have a dirt/sand driveway. BH has to get out there with the shovel and rake and fill in, smooth over the ruts from the vehicles. And do it again. and again. and again. Until Summer is here. Oh well. keeps him out of my hair for a while.

Our trip to the vet yesterday was a success. Once we got the bunny into the carrier. I started getting a little panicky when she wouldn't take any treats as I was trying to lure her into it. No, no. She only wanted the treats in her cage. No way was she falling for that "carrot on a stick" routine!

BH:"Just pick her up".
ME: "I can't. She bites!" As she's lunging for my hand with the treat in it.
BH: "Let me do it".
ME: "You gotta pick her up a special way; you have to support her back legs. She kicks like a mule"
BH: "I'll pick her up"
ME: "Wait. wait. I have an idea."

I run and get an old flannel baby blanket; give her a piece of kale; throw the blanket over her; scoop her up and "viola!" , into the carrier she goes. Whew!!

Did I mention she weighs only 3 pounds??!!

The veternarian and techs did all the work. Took her; trimmed her nails; brought her back in said carrier. Thank you, Lord. "She was sooo good", the tech tells me. "Never squirmed or tried to jump". Heh! because you people use hypnosis, I think to myself.

10 minutes after we got home, son arrived. He was startled that we took her by ourselves. Of course, he had to look her all over to make sure she was ok and the nails were trimmed properly. Geezz.

Yesterday was a good day, also. Baked some hard rolls; made Chicken Cacciatore for supper and made an "apple sheet pie" for dessert.

Today is laundry - son's and our friend in the rehab home; straighten up the house, change the bed, and washed the 3 Andean hats I knitted. Tonight is Sloppy Joes and french fries. Son is leaving about 3:00pm. Last night he said he might stay til Monday and leave about 3:00am to get to work. I don't like him driving that early in the morning for a 3 hour drive to the Cities. He needs an apartment. He needs money for said apartment. Right now he's bouncing back and forth between his brother's, uncle's and motels. Good Grief!!

My dad is scheduled for all kinds of tests - blood, CT, PET, etc. next Monday. He meets with the oncologist on the 17th. The doctor told him his esophagus opening is about the size of a pencil eraser right now. He needs to eat to keep his nutrition and strength up. Make a slurry of meat and potatoes, plenty of ice cream, soups, and those liquid nutrient drinks, he told him.

Monday and Tuesday, BH will be going to other son's to pick up things he wants to store. Wednesday, it's off to the airport.

Everyone have a glorious day!


No comments: