Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Few of My.........

Part I.

Christmas is just around the corner.  If I stay in my own little world, my own little mind, here are a few of my........

Favorite Things:
  1. Christmas music.  I love Christmas music.  It bothers me that on Dec. 26, there is no more Christmas music played on the radio stations.  What's up with that??

  2.  Christmas decorations.  If I had a million dollars, I'd spend half of it on decorations.  Both inside and outside.  I would love to buy a set of those lighted deer for the front lawn.

  3.  Christmas lights.  Lights everywhere!!  Inside and outside.  White only, please!!  They're on all the windows, all around the deck and over the door, wrapped around Canadian garland and festooned above the kitchen cupboards.

  4.  Christmas trees.  We used to search for the perfect tree; not too big, not too small; not too bushy, not too skinny.  Just right!!  Perferably a scotch pine or balsam because I love to see the white lights and the ornaments hanging delicately from the branches.

  5.  Christmas cookies.  Christmas cookies for breakfast is my favorite!!

  6.  Lots and lots of packages wrapped in Christmas paper under the tree.

  7.  Snow.  You've gotta have snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.  Light, fluffy snow.

  8.  Christmas cards.  I love getting oodles of cards to tape up over the doorways.  I love sending them, too.

  9.  Christmas Eve.  What a magical time.  It seems like all the worries, hustle/bustle,  frustrations have just melted away.  There's a kind of eerie, but beautiful, peace to the evening.  And you realize that everything has been accomplished, everything's in order.

 10.  Christmas Day.  It's all done.  Time to relax, to enjoy.  Time for long distance phone calls, opening gifts, cookies for breakfast, fresh coffee, Christmas songs on the radio all day, dinner in the oven, and alcohol --- yes, you can now drink yourself into oblivion for the day!!  The dinner??  Forgetaboutit!!  Someone will take care of it.  Who cares if you eat at 4:00, 6:00 or 10:00! 

 11.  The day after  Christmas.  This is my all time favorite!!  Because for the rest of the season, our time is our own!!  We can truly enjoy the fruits of our labor.  It's done.  It's over.  Stay in your pajamas all day if you want to!

12.  Midnight Mass.  Is there anything that makes your heart swell with the true meaning of Christmas more than Midnight Mass? The reverence and beauty of it all makes you feel like you've been granted a new beginning on life.

13.  Handel's Messiah - The Hallelujah Choir.  I have to turn this up as loud as my cd player will go.  I wish I had huge speakers outside the house so the whole neighborhood could hear it!!  If it doesn't bring the joy of Christmas to your heart and soul, I don't know what would.  It makes you stop, think, reflect, fills you heart with peace and love.

14. A house filled to the rafters with family.  All ages, shapes and sizes.  The hours and hours of cacophony; laughter, singing, story telling of Christmases past.

15.  Memories.  Of Christmases at my grandparents' house; my parents' and the traditions we embraced every year;  of Aunts and Uncles and dozens of cousins popping in for a visit; when I was a kid; when I was a teen; when my kids were babies; when they were older; when the grandchildren came along; Christmas shopping or crafting for that very special gift for that certain person; the looks of surprise, appreciation and love on everyone's face; the love that permeated the house.

What are your favorite things?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm severely allergic to pine. Cleaning with Pinesol around me can send me on a trip to the hospital. I used to suffer a tree every year, but Duane put a stop to that. My favorite is the Blue Spruce. If I could find one, I would suffer for it.

My step-mother made the best Christmas cookies.

No snow in Tucson. I would like to see the snow, but that would cause severe back pain. I'm happy to enjoy everyone's pictures on the net.