Monday, November 21, 2011

So How Was Your Weekend?.......

Pretty good here.  Pretty... pretty..... pretty.. good, to quote Larry David ("Curb Your Enthusiasm").

I finished the first mint green sock; I put the yarn aside and moved on to something else.  I've been itching to make another Norwegian hat, so I started on that.  Last year I bought a package of plastic bobbins that flip into themselves to hold small amounts of yarn for colorwork.  Haven't used them yet.  As a matter of fact, I just remembered I had them this morning.  So I will attempt to wind the colors onto them; we'll see how it goes.

Also stripped 8 oz. of the copper roving into narrow strips and started spinning it this morning.  At least, I weighed out 8 oz.  But after tearing it into strips, the bucket is full.  And that holds 4 oz.!  This should be interesting.  I bought 2# of the stuff.  Weighed out 8oz, and got 4 balls -- 32 oz. = 2#, right?  And I still had 3 oz. left over.  That's a plus-no complaints about that!  

The roving is a bit touchy to spin.  It feels like it's a long wool, so I have a longer drafting zone.  If I don't do this, the wool gets too thick and twists past the zone.  Then it's hell trying to get it untwisted and draft some more.  But I'm getting the hang of it.  And I finished plying the blues -- got 7 1/2 bobbins.  Add that to the other 5 --- a sweater?  Hope so!

Son called Saturday to say he and fiance won't be coming up for Thanksgiving or the weekend.  She has to work Wednesday and Friday, and the finances are kind of tight right now.  No extras for gas money up here and back.  I kind of expected it; he mentioned it last week.  So that's 2 less for dinner/weekend.  Now we'll see what son #2 has planned.  And son #3.  It might turn out to be BH, me and daughter ---- and a 24# turkey!  Ah, but I have freezers!!  I love freezing food.  No problem.

Yesterday I had a burst of energy, against my better wishes, and made Chicken Alfredo for supper.  It turned out great!  Salad and warm Italian bread.  Also made Tapioca pudding -- one of BH's favs.  Defrosted a dish of strawberries and had them on top of the pudding.  Deeeelish!!

I woke up this morning at 3:15 ---- yep, A.M.  Turned the coffee on, put wood in the stove and went to the wheel.  Don't ask me why.  It happens quite frequently.  Must have something to do with "old age".  My mother used to get up at 3:00am every day!  for the last 10 years of her life.  Not that she had anything in mind, or was busy doing something.  It was coffee, sit in the recliner and cat nap all day.  You could be talking to her one minute, turn your head, and she'd be out like a light.  This went on all day and evening.  Holy crap!!  I hope I never get that bad!!

I checked the turkey, defrosting in the fridge, this morning.  It's still solid as a rock.  It's been sitting in the fridge since late Saturday afternoon.  This has me concerned.  I think I'm going to have to start giving it a boost --- 2 hours out of the fridge a couple times a day.  Don't you hate it when you go to clean the bird and the inside is still frozen??  And you try to hurry up because you fingers are getting frost-bite??  Omg, and then you can barely get the stuffing into it because you have no feeling in your hands??  Yeah.  Me too.

Well, I gotta go shower, change the bed linens, make breakfast, do the dishes and then some knitting.  Before all this energy subsides.  And I pass out.  Like right around 10:00 this morning.  Thank goodness there's leftovers for supper tonight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I worked the weekend. Took 350 calls a day from mostly stupid people.

I got a 22 pound for just Duane and I because I love turkey and so do the cats.

The refrigerator better hold out, or I'm going to go all splody on someone.

Sounds like you had a good weekend.